Thursday, December 27, 2012

(One of) My Musical Hero(es): Robyn


Yes, I know. Most people automatically say The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, James Taylor, Aretha. And, don't get me wrong - they are DEFINITELY heroes of mine, but Robyn offers something more current and unique.

To many this pop star is known for her light, fun, edgy infectious electronic dance and hip-hop influenced pop hits, but if you dig a little bit deeper beneath the flashy clothes, the bleached out blonde hair, and the instrumental pyrotechnics that are her punchy productions, you will see a highly skilled singer-songwriter who has a real understanding of the conditions, nuances, joys and sorrows of love. 

Robyn does something that I dream of doing in my music career: she writes a song that works as well on the dance floor in a 4-story EDM club in Berlin as it does in an acoustic format on a tiny stage in the middle of Kansas. That's some transcendental shit!...and a sign of real songwriting. Just take a look/listen at the lyrics of her songs, and you'll see why. I'll use her song "Be Mine" as one of the examples. I love that it works so strongly in both formats. In one, she's pleading (the acoustic version), and in the other, she's screaming the unfortunate truth (the dance-pop version). See below:

              ("Be Mine" - Robyn. This is the punchy dance-pop production)

              ("Be Mine" - Robyn. The acoustic version)

Beyond that, Robyn's just a badass...and she has single-handedly kept my cardio workout in top shape. I hope to travel to her native Sweden in the next year to perform, and it would be a dream to meet her and talk about her approach to music. You never know: anything's possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...