Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Winter Jamming at Sullivan Hall NYC


I had a big show on Saturday... and it was awesome!

So, I signed up to perform in the 7th Annual Winter Jam at Sullivan Hall, arranged by good friend/fellow musician Paul Hudson. Paul asked me a couple months in advance to see if I'd be down to perform for it, especially since I had performed at Winter Jam the past two years. Both times had been good nights of fun music and dancing. But, this year, there was more at stake. This year, I found out that I was to be getting a feature and that a major TV network was coming in to interview me and film my show...this could be a potential gamechanger!

So, as luck would have it, I would find myself after the first week of January with no voice and no shows set up for the month. Couple that with the weather dropping well below freezing and no cuddle buddy in sight, and you have a recipe for a depressingly cold month. What was that you ask? What crazy rager of a party did I go to to lose my voice for about 2 1/2 weeks straight. Well, the answer is NONE! I literally woke up one morning and I didn't have an upper register when I tried to sing. I FREAKED out!! My voice is what my whole journey has been about and now when I finally get a chance to show the world what I've been working, my voice is gone and for no reason! ugh!

Well, after going to see a top-of-the-line ENT voice doctor for a couple of consultations, it was good to hear that my vocal chords (which I got to see for the first time) were healthy and normal, but just swollen, possibly due to all the weather changes. So, lots of rest, some anti-inflammatory medication, and gallons of water were to do the trick, and I'd be good to go for my big debut. Well, I'll admit: it was an hour before going on on stage, and my voice still wasn't back...so, I did what any other reasonable musician in my position would do...I ordered a Jameson on the rocks! ;)

I think it worked well enough - most of my voice came back, and I had a great show. I've been getting so much awesome feedback since the show, I can't wait to do it again - sharing that energy and connecting to you guys is the best drug I could ever take. Look out for my feature coming soon!

Much love,
NV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...