Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My latest "Lush Crush" - Mikky Ekko

I always love getting suggestions of new artists to listen to from friends, from blogs, everywhere. It's a constant inspiration not to compare what I'm doing to other's work, but rather to see what is coming from other artist from the U.S. and abroad. 

I just recently heard and was really drawn to the feel of the song "Stay" by Rihanna, which she wrote and performed on her latest album "Unapologetic" with an artist I had not heard of before: Mikky Ekko. I really liked the delicacy of his voice and how it coupled with Rihanna's along with the very stripped down production - something quite new and fresh from an artist know for her heavy, bassy, electronic dance club sound. It drew me to want to know more about this "Mikky Ekko" guy and how collaborations like these come together. So, off to Google, and it's interesting to see that there's not too much out there about him other than a few releases he's done in the past 2-3 years...and that he really got started with music in Tennessee, my home state! Plus, I was pleasantly surprised that he was from the U.S., since I typically find his style more from European artists.

There does seem to be one consistent thing with his style: it's very lush, and though I don't typically take this approach to my own writing, but I do love a good lush track - thus my adoration for artists like Jonsi and Imogen Heap. Who knows, maybe I'll incorporate some of these elements in one of my new tracks! Check out "Feels Like the End". Might I add, it's very beautifully shot, too. 

What do you think about this artist and what the next year holds for him?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...